What Exactly Is Leadership?
Categories: Blog, Human Element, Leadership
What Exactly Is Leadership?
The purpose of this component in Ironstone’s Fundamental 4™ (The Human Element), is the development of individual and team efficiency and effectiveness for the benefit of the business. The evolution of this fundamental revolves around organizational skills, management of teams, refined roles and responsibilities, and accountability for performance. This opens the lines of communication throughout a team to create a positive culture. “Everyone is on the same page” is very simple to understand but in reality, there are many directions and agendas driven by egos, greed, and lack of leadership. Leaders don’t merely take charge. They make the tough decisions while motivating and empowering others to succeed.
Are you an effective leader and do you really know what makes a great leader?
It has been said that on average, we influence 250 people in our lifetime. You can increase that by becoming an effective leader and in turn helping your team members develop good leadership qualities. An empowered work force will have ownership and in turn, productivity levels will increase.
Qualities of a good leader:
- Motivates by using the team’s common set of values
- Empowers others to be part of the solution
- Has confidence in individuals to achieve
- Understands the audience: i.e. gender, personal interests, generation dynamics, work priorities, etc…
- Inspires confidence in the future
- Help you through a particular difficult time and displays empathy
- Ethical, honest, and trustworthy
- Strives for excellence and inspires you to do the same
Actions of a good leader:
- Makes the firm direction and goals transparent for everyone to be on the same page
- Executes programs to develop leadership and communication skills
- Encourages focus by outlining common purpose and providing accountability
- Provides training and coaching to enhance expertise
- Leads by example and serves as a positive role model
- Delegates to talent and skill
- Provides a platform for input and ideas to affect advancement and improve strategies
- Asks for advice or takes direction from your team
- Walks alongside the team, not out in front
- Sweats it out with the team
Go beyond the management level and promote yourself to a leadership role.
Think of the end before the beginning. ~Leonardo da Vinci
We want to hear from you! What strategies are you using to empower your team?
Contact us for assistance in building an effective leadership development program.
- Email us at Office@IronstoneHQ.com
- Call our office at 800-917-8020
- Follow us on twitter @ https://twitter.com/#!/AndreaSchlapia
- Join us on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/IronstoneCommunications
- Connect with us on LinkedIn @ http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=29647364&trk=tab_pro
Follow us as we explore each of Ironstone’s Fundamental 4™!
- Strategic Planning
- Business Development
- Operational Effectiveness
- The Human Element
You won’t want to miss our next in the series: Strategic Planning-Succession Planning, Begin With The End In Mind
We would love to hear from you!
Thanks for your inquiry!
We will be contacting you shortly. In the meantime please feel free to connect with us on social media and explore our blog posts.
Ironstone understands the importance of protecting your privacy. We will not sell, rent or give your name or address to anyone.
Latest Blog Article
Ten Tips to Maximize Mentor Program Longevity
Building a mentor program is more than just selecting great mentors and eager mentees. The key to building a great mentor program is understanding the problem you are trying to fix, correct or eliminate. Before you even put your finger on the keyboard, you need to be very clear on what needs to change by […]Read More>